Monday 29 July 2013

Handmade Monday

How to Turn a Beautifully Well Written Lace Pattern into Intarsia

1.  Find a pattern you like.  I used Debbie Bliss' Alphabet Pattern from Junior Knits.

2.  Fiddle about with the design to remove all the bits you don't like.  In my case, it was all the lace between the letters, and the fiddly bits at the edge.

3.  Work out how many stitches you need to cast on.  Then cast on too few.  Rip back.  Cast on again.  Cast on too many.  Rip back.  Cast on correct number.  Caution: not family friendly.

4. Calculate where to place first letter using hard sums and counting titchy little squares.  Muck this up, start again, rip back stupid sodding bamboo thread and use regrettable language again.

5.  I forgot to mention: pick a real pain in the bum yarn that doesn't take intarsia well - something made out of bamboo is perfect.  Really slippy, shiny and not at all sticky together-y.

6. Knit up first square.  Gaze at crappy piece of stuff, hope it will block out.  

7. Continue to knit remainder of strip until either fed up or out of yarn.  

8.  Repeat until blanket is almost finished and starting to look respectable.

9.  Finish blanket.  Border and line in order to hide mess on reverse side.

I must confess that I haven't finished the last step yet.  I'm still on step 8, having run out of yarn and developed some form of mental allergy to bamboo.  

This is what the blanket should look like.  I have stolen the picture from my friend Lyn's Ravelry page.  You should have a look at it.  She does some impressive work.  


This is what mine looks like.  It is different.  


Mine will have a green crocheted border.  It will be as special and precious as the young man who is getting it as a Welcome to the World present (six months late).

3 comments:

  1. Wow. I made that blanket too (back in 2007 - pre my own babies! - for my niece). It's a killer, even just following the pattern ... as for intarsia-ing it up, yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to google the word intarsia, but I love the different colours of the letters, they look really effective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful blanket, totally unique and personal x

    ReplyDelete