I made a skirt today. I measured myself carefully, twice, wrote down the measurements, drew up a paper pattern, cut it out, cut out the skirt from the pattern, giving a half inch seam allowance on all seams, and the skirt is enormous. I've had to botch it a couple of times, cutting off a bit of waist here and there, getting rid of fabric all over the place, and I'm still swimming in it (well, paddling). Either I can't measure, or I've lost lots of weight recently, without either trying or noticing.
Anyway. My skirt has been bubbling away in my brain for a while, ever since I read this blog post here. I bought the fabric from Ditto Fabrics - blue and white spots and a very contrasting grey roses fabric. I'll definitely use them again, fast service, gorgeous fabric. I used a button from stash, and the whole project went from this:
in a remarkably short space of time. I spent about a month obsessing over reading how to insert a zip, and worrying and worrying, and it was only on Saturday when I got the sewing machine out to make bunting for Lucy's birthday that I thought "it's only sewing, just do it" and just did it. Frightening for a bit, but I did it.
I'm very happy with it, despite it being a bit too big. Hurrah.