Monday 17 June 2013

Handmade Monday

I am trying to menu plan for the week, a new idea to fit in with the whole save money, shopping locally agenda I'm trying out.  So of course, I'm pretty desperate to do almost anything else.


This is a close up of the dress I made for Lucy on Saturday night.  Some people go out, some people stay in and sew.  When did I fall into the latter category?

We left early on Saturday morning to go to ballet and so were able to do some other things beforehand, which makes a nice change from getting there two or three minutes after the lesson has started, tearing around in a screaming panic and generally being grumpy.  We went to Ealing Fabrics, and I let Lucy choose a fabric for a dress, with the only caveat being it was one that I liked too.  The ones I really liked she disliked, and the ones she loved were frankly horrible, so we compromised on the one above.  I choose the pattern as it looked unfussy, simple and quick.  I can't be doing with dresses with bodices and all that, children's clothes need to be very unfitted so that you can get a tee shirt underneath and a cardigan over the top, and still allow for free movement.  Lucy is an active child, she needs clothes that allow her to run around.

From a trotting horse, you cannot see the terrible hem or the dreadful mess that is the neckline and armholes; this is my second dress ever, and I am a novice to all such things as bias binding and other exciting developments in the fashion world.  I am off to Hobbycraft tomorrow to get more fabric, bias binding and more thread so I can have another go on Thursday.  So watch this space, if you are, and I know this is a long shot, interested in sewing.

2 comments:

  1. It looks lovely. I can't wait to see it in person. Looking forward to seeing Thursday's efforts too. Am horribly jealous of all the things you find time to do. Can't quite figure out how to get back in the saddle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thursday's sewing is going to be put on hold, curses, curses, as I have a huge amount of work to get through tomorrow night - mostly sitting in front of the computer mucking about with photos. I'll do some over the weekend though. The trick to getting back in the saddle is to sit in it. And try not to cry when the buggers destroy your will to continue.

    ReplyDelete