Friday 21 August 2015

Sewing as a force for good

I do love it when the things I like doing can be used for good things.  I've run races for Cancer Research and I was going to do the Royal Parks Half Marathon, but I'm not going to be able to do that this year - a combination of having hurt my back slightly and not being in the right frame of mind.  Who knew that disliking running would make it so much harder to keep going?

Back to the nice things.  Karen from Did You Make That? has set up a new fund-raising thing, called the Made Up Initiative where you give money to the National Literacy Trust via Just Giving, and then pledge to sew something by the 10th of September.  I'm not going to go on about how important reading is to me; I've been a keen reader since I was 5, I'm a primary school teacher and a SENCO, I've got two daughters who regularly fall asleep in their books and who have been members of the library since they were 3 weeks old, and I work hard to ensure that all the children I come into contact with have frequent access to high quality literature, so it's a cause close to my heart.

I may have bitten off more than I can chew though; I've pledge to make two Skater Dresses, one of each of the girls, and a Lady Skater Dress for me.  I've got to print out the grown up pattern, which might be a bit of a problem as our printer is a bit iffy at the best of times.  I'm sure it will all be fine, I've made three of the children's dresses before and they took about an afternoon, and I've got three mornings free next week while the girls are at tennis, so I'll keep you posted.  Bet you can't wait.

As far as the running goes, I'm going to restart the Couch to 5K programme in a few weeks, and start doing pilates again to strengthen my back and core muscles a bit.  I used to enjoy running, and I do quite like exercise, but I've really not been into into it since Easter, and I've been a very reluctant runner since then.  Hurting my ankle put me in a terrible frame of mind about it, and it's a real relief to have the pressure taken off by deciding not to do the Half.  Next year.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment