It started off as a reaction to the idea of paying 70 Euros EACH for an acrylic, flammable Elsa dress in Disneyland Paris. When we got back to London, we went to John Lewis and chose £50 worth of blue fabric, and sparkles, and netting, and all sorts, as well as a pattern.
These sat in the stash for a while, having a little think about everything.
One bodice, cut out and with bead placement.
One completed bodice. The sequin tape is sewn around the sleeve cuffs, and the neckline is decorated. The silk was a bugger to cut out, but it is done now, and even after cutting out Hattie's bodice, there'll be enough left to make a scarf for me to sashay around in. Making a silk scarf; understand that what I'm going to do is pink the edges, then knot it around my neck and go out. No sewing required.
Just the skirt to go now; and I cut so that it would fall to just above her ankles. I didn't cut out enough panels for the skirt, which I discovered AFTER sewing on the net underskirt, and the gauzy overskirt. So on the back, it has a plain panel with the zip in. It's also much too big at the top, as I added more room to the bodice by accident. I couldn't face ripping out all the work, so I had to bodge it. And we need a cloak.
It rustles when she walks.
It's super, super sparkly.
And there it is, in its full glory. Being exceptionally nit-picking, I would make the overskirt fuller, so that there's more movement in it, and I would count the panels properly so that I don't have to bodge it again. The pattern is quite good actually, although I'm not entirely sure about the skirt. It's a bit impractical for active girls.
I worried that Lucy would be a bit sniffy about it not being a REAL Elsa dress, but she loves it. Thank goodness. Now, when I've ordered more fabric for Hattie's, I've just got to get a couple of wigs, and some sparkly shoes and we'll be singing all around West Ealing.
I might have to make myself one too.