Monday 9 June 2014

Dress every day like you're going to get murdered in those clothes.


I decided to do another internet sewing challenge, this time an Outfit-a-long, where you make a dress and a cardigan, specifically to wear together.  I didn't want to buy yet another pattern that would live in the cupboard, never to be used again, so I used the Anna dress from By Hand London.  What a lovely clear pattern, with super instructions, and the dress is looking great. I didn't have enough fabric to make a maxi dress with a massive thigh high split, plus I'm not sure that would look very good on me.


It helps that the fabric is absolutely adorable, and carries a lot of the dodgy sewing and wonky seams.  I tried French seams on the shoulders, which was great, but I'm going to pink the seams on the skirt.  The skirt is made up of about 7 panels, so it swishes round beautifully when I twirl.  It's not quite finished, it needs a zip, a hem and a good press.

I'm just finishing off a sock for Simon, but after that I'm going to start the cardigan.  The designer is new to me, but her Miette cardigan is a favourite of sewing bloggers, possibly because they aren't knitters, possibly because they all seem to be about 7 with tiny little figures that suit cropped vintage styles.  I don't fancy the Miette, but the Myrna looks very nice, and I'm looking forward to knitting it.  Mine is going to be light blue, not a colour I often choose, but it matches my gorgeous little raccoons very well.


Are you interested in making matching things?  The fun I had during "me-made-May" (still can't say it) has highlighted a lot of gaps in the wardrobe, so I'm happily filling them with lots of lovely handmades; I'm aiming to knit a version of one of my absolute favourites in the next few months. watch this space.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful fabric, I'm sure your finished dress will get a lot of wear out of it. I've got a thing about cardigans - I love them, and am about to make my first one for my daughter. I look forward to seeing the two items together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm very pleased with the fabric, it was the end of a roll in John Lewis a few weeks ago.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you, the dress fabric you chose is absolutely lovely. It sounds like with it be fun to wear and twirl the skirt! The sweater sounds pretty, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've stalled a bit on the dress; I've got a zip to insert and I don't have time, as I'm just so busy at work. Rubbish.

      Delete
  3. Lovely! I'm loving knitting Miette (although I'm not tiny!) but I will deffo be making more of her patterns in the future..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it good? I might give it a whirl at some point; you can show me yours and I'll show you mine x

      Delete