Saturday 7 June 2014

A 12 minute mile is just as far as a 6 minute mile.

Or why I don't care that it took me 40 minutes to run 5 kilometres.


I did it; it wasn't easy at all.  For a start, it was pissing with rain when I was getting ready, which really wasn't any fun at all, and my feet were still wet when we got home.  Then, when it finally stopped, it was really muggy and close.  Then I'd forgotten about my totally irrational fear and hatred of large groups of people all doing the same thing; turning the corner at 3 kilometres to come back meant that I was running into big groups of people bearing down on me, which was really, really horrible.  I turned the music up, did lots of staring at flowers, but had to walk for a minute or two, which was a bit disappointing, but actually I'm really glad I didn't just burst into tears and refuse to continue.  I've had panic attacks before, so I knew what was happening, and actually there must have been a massive surge in my adrenaline just as I was starting feel like hyperventilating because I was able to keep going, and actually went faster at one point.
I'm really pleased with my run.  I'm really pleased that I've gone from being able to run for about a minute, a minute and a half, to running almost continuously for 40 minutes.  My friend who runs marathons has suggested doing another 5k later in the summer, and I've said yes.  I can't quite believe it, but I'm going to do this again this year.  One of my other friends who loves to run has said that it gets fun when you can run 10 miles, so I am aiming for that.  If it turns out that he is lying, I will be on the plane to foreign parts to punch him on the nose.   

Anyway, if you have a few quid going spare, do please sponsor me. It's a very good cause after all.

http://www.justgiving.com/Julia-Croyden

2 comments: