Monday 7 January 2013

Lucy's Rainbow Cake

Reading Esther Walker's blog today, where she makes a rainbow cake for her daughter's birthday, reminded me of the cake I made Lucy for her third birthday, all that time ago.  It remains the most impressive cake I've ever made, if not the hardest.  It took forever - three times longer than a normal cake - and as I was on maternity leave with Hat, I had her to contend with, although Lyn and Laura helped entertain her.


Ah maternity leave.  Going back to work today was a bit of a shock, particularly being at Ealing Broadway for 8am when I normally am just about sociable by then - working in the afternoons has its benefits.  Being at home with my children is wonderful.  I missed them like mad today - even though the training day in an unprepossessing building on a godforsaken industrial estate in Reading wasn't bad at all.  The building houses a wonderful library of children's books, and was wonderful in its own way.  

Still, nothing beats being at home with a baby, and I'm very jealous of my friends due to have babies this year - first, second and third children.  Even with Simon's flashy new job, I'm still going to have to work, curse it.  Ah well, if the secret plans and clever tricks work out, things should be better soon, and all these babies mean babygros, knitting and crochet.  I've started planning all sorts of exciting things, half of which will never be made, of course.



1 comment:

  1. Secret plans and clever tricks. I like the sound of that. We need to slope off for a good old gossip just the two of us I think. I want to hear more about the children's library too.

    ReplyDelete