Wednesday 2 October 2013

WIP Wednesday

For some unfathomable reason, I'm working on the Paper Dolls jumper again.  I love Kate Davies.  I love the way she marries traditional and contemporary, humour and wearability, whimsical without being twee;  I love her designs inspired by the natural world and the Shetlands; I love the way she uses British breeds and pure wool; I love the way she writes and I admire her determination to recover from her stroke a few years ago.

What I do not love are instructions that start "with cc1 and a 3.5mm circular needle, cast on 234 stitches using i-cord cast on and join for working in the round".  That they are then followed by "Work in corrugated rib for 2.5 inches" seems to add insult to injury.

Looking at my Ravelry notes tells me that I started this project in January last year, and have been either working slowly at it, or totally ignoring it for the last year and a half.  The only way to finish it is to knit it, so that's what I've been doing and just look at the progress!


The really obvious stripe is thanks to me not buying enough yarn (imagine!) to finish the project.  I am not very happy about it, but ripping out all that work? 

I've still got 3 inches to the underarms, and I need to decrease more - I have a slightly distorted body image and could probably have gone for the size smaller.  Or even the one below that. 

I love you Kate Davies, but "knit in thin grey wool until completely bats" is NOT FAIR.

Paper Dolls - trundling along
Peacock Mittens - one finished, bar the thumb
Hexipuff Quilt - nearly 150 puffs made, how terribly exciting, and the quilt is rectangular, which is pleasing
Owl Blanket - needs to move up the list, Hattie's birthday is the 3rd of December
Elephant blanket - baby not deigning to put in an appearance, so it'll be a Christmas present.  2014?
Peerie Flooers - I'm going to buy the yarn as a birthday present for myself from myself.  Sod it.
Ringo and Elwood mittens - were going to be a Christmas present, but I think that's unrealistic
Idlewood - still yarn
Alphabet Blanket for Noah - done
Granny's a Square Afghan - done










4 comments:

  1. I don't think I'd rip it out either. Paper dolls has been in my favs for ages but as of yet I've not started it but all those stitches with i cord cast on, hmmmm me thinks it might stay in the favs another wee while. Love the added notes to the list they made me smile. Keep trundling along you'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed with your sweater! I would have given up after 10 of those "thin grey yarn rounds"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah...wouldn't rip it back either! Keep you eye on the ultimate goal--a lovely sweater. All that work will be worth it in the end, I promise. ;)
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've run out of yarn again, so I can see another stripe in my future.

    ReplyDelete