When life gives you lemon fabric, you make dresses with lemons on.
Simplicity Blogging Circle had a competition which ended last month to make some version of this dress, which is Simplicity 6145, so I faithfully cut it out, emailed them, entered, then put the fabric in a bag near my sewing machine and ignored it for a while, hoping it would sew itself.
Until last Saturday morning, when, post Rainbows sleepover, sleep deprived and a bit lightheaded, I sewed it together. Having measured myself, compared my measurements to the sizes, read that even though my waist and hips are about the same as the stated size 16 and my bust is considerably bigger, I decide to cut out a size 16. Shame I didn't read the finished garment measurements.
Anyway, the good news is that I totally chose the wrong size, and ended up with a far, far too big dress. It fits well across my hips and bum, but was so big around the bust, I nearly fell out of it. It took me a lot of buggering about with the neckline to make it fit properly. I ended up reducing it by ten inches. I'd like to think I've lost weight, which is why it doesn't fit, but I think it's the whole full bust, hollow chest thing; and will result in masses of fitting changes to all my dresses. So it's a good job I don't care very much about fit across the chest, so long as it doesn't look too daft.
Next time, I'll choose the 14, and wing it. Or not eat until it fits.