Wednesday 25 November 2015

There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk

Despite not getting into the rhythm of work and home and all the other fun things I do, I managed to do some sewing.  Both are jersey knits, and both were cut out and sat fermenting in the back room while I summoned the energy to finish them.  Of course, once I actually got on with them, they took less than two hours to make.  Between them.


This is a Grainline Lark Tee Shirt.  You can get the pattern from here if you're in the UK.  The fabric is from eBay, and cost about £3.50 a metre, so nice and cheap, and actually probably cheaper than I could buy RTW.  It is soft and cosy, but not particularly structured, so the top is fairly thin.  This is fine, because I layer a short sleeved knitted jumper over the top and look utterly, utterly fabulous (natch).  This tee-shirt is a measure of my commitment to my handmade wardrobe: it is pretty boring, it wasn't hard to make, it was only just cheaper than buying one, but I want to make my own clothes, so if I need a grey long-sleeved tee-shirt, and I really, really do, I must make myself one.  It fits better than a shop-bought one too, and I've worn it twice already.  I love it as much as you can love a grey long-sleeved tee.



This dress looks very 1970s curtains, I think, and I'm not sure what it'll look like on, but I love it in all its flowery fabulousness.  The fabric is from Hawthorne Threads in the US; my husband brought it back last time he went to the States.  I ordered it and paid for it, he's great, but not that great.  The pattern is the Kitschy Coo Lady Skater Dress, and was very, very quick to put together.  It helps that I've made it several times for the children, and once before for myself, so there were no surprises.  It's a very quick and easy pattern to make. 

Both of these garments are being modelled by Nigella, my new dressmaker's dummy.  One of the many things the real Nige and I have in common, alongside fabulous hair, superior cooking skills and general awesomeness, is large boobs, so it seemed fitting to name my dressform after the woman I want to be when I grow up.  Also, I got her new book for my birthday too, so, you know, synergy or something.  The dressform is amazing, and is currently the same measurements as me.  It cheers me up to know that things will fit, and it will be very, very useful when putting together my next Cambie dress.  More on that at another date.

Right, there's rubbish telly to watch, and mittens to finish.  Also, wine to drink. 


No comments:

Post a Comment