Saturday 19 September 2015

They're twelve years old. I would have killed to have seen a bag of hands at that age.

Be careful what you wish for because it may well come true.  Teaching in Year 2 is proving to be a lot of hard work, being a SENCo is hard work, moving into a new school and unpacking and setting up a classroom is hard work.  Lucy has now been in Year 2 for 2 and a half weeks, and we're already behind on handing in homework and listening to her read, and don't even mention piano practice.  Getting into any sort of routine is proving to be a bit too much for us, particularly with the gastrically interesting week I've had.  There's been a tummy bug going round Hat's class; she had it on Thursday, and I had it on Tuesday.  Hurrah!  Nothing wipes you out like a vomiting bug.  I was so exhausted that I went to bed at quarter past 9 on Tuesday, and slept for nearly 12 hours.

But never mind all that.  I'm finally making it through the fog to sew up some stash, and I've got two dresses made already.  It's not taken a lot out of the stash to be honest, mostly because there is just LOADS of it, and even though I'm not thin, 3 metres of jersey fabric is a LOT of jersey fabric.

I finally finished my Made Up Initiative pledge, and made the Lady Skater dress in stashed jersey that I got from the Knitting and Stitching Show in April.  I was going to use it to make a wraparound dress from the Sewing Bee book from last year, but I don't like the pattern in the book, so I turned it into a Lady Skater.  It's a brilliant pattern, just like the children's one, and very quick to make.  I actually got it finished on the 9th, just before the cut off date, but I failed to notify Karen, mostly because it was then Lucy's birthday and party and all that means.  For those not in the know, she is 7.  We went to a pizza restaurant and made pizzas and there were 12 little boys and girls, and I will say no more about any of that.

Anyway, here is the beautiful, gorgeous dress.  I've worn it three times and washed it twice, and it looks great and is very comfortable, and when I twirl, the skirt sticks out a bit and is SUPER COOL.


Bit of a crappy Instagram picture, but you get the general idea.  I love the pattern, and I've got a whole bunch more planned.

The other dress I made is a bit more sober and sensible.  I bought some greyish brown jersey at the same fair, and decided to make a Coco with it.  BUT, having made the Lady Skater, I decided that I wanted to try the neckline of the Lady Skater on the bodice of the Coco, with the neckband instead of turning it under.  The dress is also severely plain, so has some pink rick rack around the hem to cheer it up a bit.  I only finished it on Thursday, so I haven't worn it yet, although I've tried it on and it looks good.

Again, another crappy Instagram picture, and the light wasn't great.  I'm not patient enough at the moment to take self portraits with a clicky thing and my good camera, and my photographer makes me look like an idiot, so what can you do.


I also made pants for me.  They are amazing.


I will not be posting a modelled shot.






2 comments:

  1. I'm really impressed that you've made two dresses and pants! Sounds like you are super busy. I have a hard time making that much when I'm not busy :P Your lady skater is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm one of those annoying people who normally thrive on being very busy, but these last week has defeated me!

      Delete